Thursday, April 24, 2008

Jaxon and the swaddle

Every new parent is taught by the nurses at the hospital to swaddle your baby tightly and this will help the baby sleep better and longer. Well, we have used the swaddle religiously since the day Jaxon was born, and every time we put him in it, Jack mentions how he would hate to be wrapped up so tightly like that. So, we decided to swaddle Jack too to see exactly how much he would hate it.
And of course after Jack tried it, we had to put me in the swaddle too.
Lately though, Jaxon has been breaking out of his swaddle in order to be more comfortable at night. Last week, I went in to get him when he started fussing and I found Jaxon completely naked except for his diaper. In his attempts to get out of his swaddle, he had wiggled himself completely out of his nightgown and the nightgown and blankets were all down around his ankles and he had shoved himself into the corner of the crib. It was the most unexpected thing to see for me going to check on him at 4 a.m. I couldn't help but just bust out laughing. :o) But I have learned my lesson...the swaddle is not so tight anymore when I put him to bed at night so Jaxon doesn't need to fight as hard to get out of it. :o)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That is such a cute story! Little Wiggle worm! I would have burst out laughing too! How big is he now? When are we going to hang out?!?

Something else you can do is Swaddle him under his arms, so his body is still snug but his arms are out. Emma didn't like swaddling, but when we started leaving her arms out she was ok.

Cece Girl said...

Oh! Thanks for making me laugh out loud! REally. I was crying. Maybe I'll try to swaddle Adam...hmm.

Barbara said...

You guys are funny! Jaxon is so cute!

Shannon said...

Yeah, we discovered Wes can't live with his arms bundled up. It doesn't matter what he's doing, sleeping in bed or riding in the car seat, his hands can't be under the blanket--or if they are, they won't be there for long if he can help it. Babies are surprisingly opinionated, aren't they?

Ashley Dawn said...

That's awesome. We're religious swaddlers too, but I can't say I've ever tried it myself.....haha. You guys are awesome.