Sunday, January 31, 2010

Labor Details


Well, here is the labor and delivery story that I know you've all been dying to hear...or read :o). First off, my labor and delivery experience this time around was quite a bit different from Jaxon. I had 4th degree tearing with Jaxon and even with that, the doctor still had to use forceps to pull Jaxon out. He was a BIG boy (8 lbs. 12 oz.) So, this time around, I was very concerned about having another big baby that I wouldn't be able to deliver "comfortably." My doctor was great and tried to do what she could to help me deliver a little earlier. We had a planned amniocentesis at 37 weeks to determine lung development, and if that had gone well, my dr. was going to induce me that week. Unfortunately, there wasn't a safe place to take a sample of amniotic fluid, so inducing early was out. The earliest the dr. was going to be able to induce was going to be 39 weeks and at the 37 week appointment, Mailee was already 7 lbs. 1 oz. And at that point, I hadn't had any major contractions and was only dilated about 1.5-2 cm.
The weekend before Mailee came, I started having several bad contractions that felt more like the "real" contractions, so I called my sister in Philadelphia and asked her to come. She was so amazing and left her family behind and came out the next day to come help...and good thing she did. She arrived on Sunday afternoon, and Sunday night/Monday morning at 2 a.m. my water broke. Since this did not happen with Jaxon, Jack and I were actually a little lost about what we were supposed to do. I even considered just going back to bed for a couple more hours. :o) We finally decided to go to the hospital, which was fortunately just up the street and took us less than 5 min. to get there, but by then, the really bad contractions had started and I was grateful we were so close. Since it was still only 2:30 a.m. we actually had to go in through the ER entrance. We got admitted right away and the dr. checked me and said I was in very "active" labor and that they needed to call my dr. right away or she might miss it entirely. I was at a 6 and 90% effaced. I got them to give me the epidural right away, and then we just waited and tried to rest until I was ready to push. I was ready before the doctor got there and had to try and just wait and not push until he showed up. Finally, at 6 a.m. the dr. strolled in and after 15 min. of pushing, Mailee was born! The epidural wasn't quite as strong as the one I had with Jaxon so the pushing was more painful than I remember, but hooooray, I actually got to push her out myself and only had 2nd degree tearing this time around!! I can't say enough how much of a difference that 2 degrees is. I was actually able to walk around and move around SOOOO much faster and easier than after Jaxon's delivery. I can actually sit without using a donut!! :o) That did not happen for MONTHS after Jaxon was born.
Anyhow, sorry for the huge long post, but just wanted to get it all down. It was wonderful to come home after 48 hours at the hospital, but it was EXTREMELY hard being away from Jaxon for that whole time. Because of the H1N1 virus going around, no kids were allowed into the maternity ward, so big shout out to Aurelia for being here and giving us the opportunity to just take off when we needed to head off to the hospital and being such a great help with Jaxon the first couple of days. Jaxon has LOVED having a baby sister and gets so excited and wants to hold her and share his cars with her. Unfortunately, that also means he wants to squeeze her tight to give her lots of "hugs" and that he will pile ALL of his cars on top of her to let her "play" with him. But it's been extremely sweet to see the love Jaxon already has for Mailee and I have high hopes that they will be good friends...once Mailee is a little older. :o)

5 comments:

Emma and Dan said...

Hooray for less tearing the second time around! Maybe with #3, there will be no tearing at all - that's the best!
You're a champ for getting her out in 15 minutes! The pushing is my favorite part. I bet you enjoyed it more without the forceps (yikes!).
I haven't watched the slide show yet because I was excited to hear your story, but I'm going to see more Mailee pics now. Yay!

Steph said...

Wow, that's great! I'm glad Mailee's delivery wasn't quite as intense as Jaxon's. That's so cute that he already wants to be friends with her! He's going to be such an awesome and protective big bro :)

Alanna said...

A Big and a little late congratulations to you! She's beautiful... and I love the name! Glad it was all much smoother this time!!

Aurelia said...

snaps to you
& me
& jon
& cousins zoe, zane, & eli
it was fun to hang with jaxon
& get some quality auntie a time
any ideas yet regarding the blessing?

Unknown said...

wow, that sounded rough, I had no idea you had such a rough time before with Jaxon. Hope you are up and going sooner than later. we miss ya! I love your comments on my blog too, I always love hearing from you.