Friday, June 29, 2007

Small Town Carnivals

So, we thought it was about time...after being here in Utah County for the past 7 years...that we actually went to one of the small town carnivals that happen in the surrounding cities of Provo. We drove past the Springville Art City Days last month and I tried to convince the hubby to go...but because I mentioned "Art City Days," he somehow figured it was an art show and refused to go. But this time for Pleasant Grove's Strawberry Days, I made sure to tell Jack that it was a CARNIVAL and that there would be CARNIVAL TREATS and rides and all the good stuff that come with small town carnivals. So together we went to discover Strawberry Days. First off, I have to say I was kind of surprised at the lack of strawberry memorabilia at this function. However, there were funnel cakes, and strawberries and cream! YUM! Jack wanted to try some of the rides...I don't do rides since I've gotten sick from the Stampede in the old days...so now that I'm older and wiser, I just know to stay away from those kinds of things. :o) Anyhow, we were horrified to see how much everything cost! Jack was saying he remembered carnivals as a kid where things were free and you could just go on everything and enjoy the day on rides and good food. Even the food though...WOW! The funnel cakes cost as much as they do at Disney World...DISNEY WORLD! And they weren't nearly as good. :o( But hey, how often do we get funnel cakes, right? So, all in all, I think we enjoyed our carnival experience...especially seeing the "real carnies", but I don't think we'll go to another one. It's just far too expensive to actually "enjoy" it...unless you're willing to spend the money on the food and rides, or the rodeo and such...there's really not much to do at those things. But at least we can say we've been. :o)

No comments: